Question

Peepsie

I have been contacted by a debt collection agency about a debt that I paid 14 years ago.
I do not have proof of payment because It was so long ago. I do not want to say the wrong thing with the collection agency. I don't know what my next step should be.

If it is a debt that old and you know that you paid it (even if you didn't) tell them to pound sand. Send them a "Cease and Desist" letter via certified mail to no longer contact you about the debt and if they do only in writing. Don't put your signature on the letter, typing your name will suffice. If they would threaten to sue you, let them (unless it is some type of debt that doesn't apply to the statute of limitations). Keep a record of all communication from them (letters, pictures of caller ids, etc) as you may need it to sue them if this turns into harassment which it most likely will. Do some reading on debt collectors and understand the illegal tactics they use. Don't worry about this, don't speak with them anymore, send them a letter (google cease and desist letter template) keep records of everything and the moment it starts to become harassment call a consumer law attorney and sue them.

And, another contact would be your sta te's Attorney- General, since this would be addressed by their consumer protection department.