Question

Solar39

I have a"thin" credit history. How do i start building credit?
I can not receive a credit report due to a so called thin file. I have never taken out loans so have never had the opportunity to grow my credit score. Now I can not get approved for a decent credit card, what is the best route to take?

Most Helpful Response

Look into Secured Credit Cards to start building your credit history.

With the secured CC purchase a few items with in reason and make sure you pay the card off when you get the statement. ( Always Pay it off ) this is the start of building some credit history. After you have had a secured card for a few months and have made 3 or 4 payments you might want to try getting a department store credit card.

As it seem you are just starting out try not to get more then 3 CC's within a year. ( no need to rush things )

Good Luck.

Credit History takes time, so does your Credit Score.

Thin file

I do have credit history -- I have a credit card, I co-signed on our mortgage and have stocks and bonds.  You just want me to spend money.  You advertise that it is "free".