Question

CarolinaGirl42

I have an account in collections since April 2016 that I didn't know anything about.
Should I pay it off to the debt collecting agency? Will they remove it promptly? Will it greatly raise my score to pay it?

Paying a collections does not remove it. Unless, you can get a "pay for delete agreement". Meaning you get them to agree to remove the account from your reports in exchange for your payment in full. Unpaid to Paid collection = not much of an improvement to credit. Unpaid to Deleted = big improvement. Spend some time reading about all of this before you take any action.