Question

SickOfRenting

I have a thin file and am caught in a credit Catch-22
I am 29 years old and have always avoided credit cards and things that generate monthly bills. I thought this was good financial practice, not to allow yourself to spend money you don't have, but clearly I was wrong. I pay my utilities but apparently this is not enough to establish credit. What can I do? I have applied for a few credit cards over the years and am always denied, I never qualify for WalMart cards, Target cards, etc.
How do you build credit if you have to have already established credit to qualify for credit?

Most Helpful Response

take $1,000 go to your local bank apply for a cash secured loan open up a seperate savings account so your not tempted to spend it....put the $1,000 in there then fill out the loan paper work....put the money from the loan in the new savings account plus $60 for interest then have the bank do auto payments out of the new savings account for 6 months then go pay the loan off completley NEXT go to capital one and apply for the Quicksilver One credit card (mastercard version) comes with 1.5% cashback with a $39 annual fee so spend $2600/year and the cashback will cover the annual fee though you still need actually pay it....and in order to boost your score keep your utlization under 20% ie: $1,000 CL don't go over $200 a month (or make multiple payments before the bill comees in ie: once a week) average credit score approved 614 as low as 595 i'd recommened getting to 620 before you apply

Well, looks like you need to try a "secured" credit card. Also try to finance a piece of furniture or jewelry.... It's going to take some time though.... Good luck my friend...