Question

dragabike

I have a question about my credit.
Due to the recession, I haven't had credit in 5 to 6 years. Credit Karma cannot find anything on me. I had to stop paying on everything due to no work. I have no clue where to even start. Any suggestions?

Start by trying to pull your credit reports directly from all three credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, Transunion). See if they have reports on you and what the reports show. Knowing what is on your reports is of course the first step. Next, if you find negative information on your reports, see what you can do to remove it. See how long it will remain on your reports, see if anything is inaccurate and dispute the inaccurate items. Sometimes debt collection companies and such will do Pay For Delete agreements (you get them to remove the account in exchange for your payment). Next or at the same time as trying to clean up your reports, work on getting some positive lines of credit going. If you have to get a couple of secured credit cards that report to the credit bureaus. The are some of the first steps, but above all, you need to fully educate yourself on credit building or repair, as a lot of mistakes can be made. You have to be extremely careful what you do when dealing with your credit as moves that you think will help often make things worse. Designate at least an hour or two a day reading articles and forums across the net to learn what you should do and shouldn't do when in the process of rebuilding. Good Luck and have patience!!