Question

grrl912

I have a medical bill from June 2008 on my report. Shouldn't that be gone by now?

sorry

They take 7 years to drop off. & that's only if they don't "sell" it to a collection account. If it keeps getting sold it doesn't drop off bc it becomes a new account. That's how they keep it on your report.:(

Blackknight270

It doesn't matter if they sell the account.  It can't stay on your report longer than 7 years past the date it first became delinquent and was not brought current.  The delinquency date is the date your first went into default. Collection agencies are required by fedral law to report the original deliquancy date from the original debt.

Most Helpful Response

Correct Response

The correct response is that a collection account can only legally be on your credit report for 7 years after the origination date unless you talk to the collection company at any point and tell them you will eventually pay. This will lengthen the time the debt can remain on your report and this way is completely legal.There is an extremely illegal practice that collection agengies use to " re-age" the debt. They "re-age" the debt by either selling the debt and the new company lies about the collection account origination date when reporting to the credit bureaus or the collection agency makes a small illegal payment on the account which keeps the account open longer. This small illegal payment might be a penny or a dollar. This is the perfect reason to print out your credit report every time you look at it, to check for these errors or illegal practices. My family has seen this happen as we are all tax accountants. Follow this and you will see the collection accounts fall off of your report after 7 years or you need to dispute and potentially contact a lawyer to handle the fraud commited by these collection agencies.

You can call and talk them and tell them about your problems and tell that you dont have the money and you need to have it sponged which will lower it to about  700. to 100. they want something instade of nothing

I think there may be a misconception here.  The 7 year deal is actually of inactivity.  I think that is why you will find that if your account goes into collection, it starts the time all over again.  After about 5 years of not being able to find you, they will sell it again and it starts all over.

If you owe money, you should pay it.  It is the right thing to do and that will get it off your report.

This is in response to one of the guys about how long an object can stay on your credit file . I have a collection account that has been on my credit for 21 years and never has been removed . I'm still not  for sure why but I have had several agencies working on this and it is still there , so don't tell me it automaticly comes off in 7 years because it does not

What medical bill?