Question

MzEpp41

I have a judgement for 200 dollars but the law office says I owe them 400
So I checked my credit report a while back and I saw a judgement for 200 from a dr bill that never got paid. I went to the courthouse to pay it, and they directed it to a law office who handles the judgements for that particular dr office. I called the law office and they said that with all the lawyer fees that I now owe 400 dollars. My question is, am I only required to pay the judgement amount? Or in cases like this is it normal for the person in debt to have to pay all these extra fees? Thank you!

Most Helpful Response

get a copy of the judgement.....

I suggest you pay for a copy of the judgement.  It likely allows for attorney/court filing fees to be included.  Since that information isn't completely ready at the time of the judgement, it is usually allowed to be tacked on to the judgement with-in a certain amount of time.  The unknown additional fees (like attorney fees) are usually allowed to be added later with an invoice of services provided to the court.

ButterflyWingz

Nunya, you always seem to have the best answers!  I wish there was a follow button on your profile.  I actually goto your profile whenever I log on to see what advice you have given recently and I have learned a TON!  Thanks again for all of your advice, my score is improving as a result of your answers and the ability to check my score on Credit Karma.