Question

SFTEOTW

I have a ghost account that a recovery company is trying to collect on
I honestly don't remember when this original account was charged off, but I have this recovery company trying to keep making offers to me to 'clear this debt' by making a one time payment of X amount of dollars.
How do I get them to stop sending me this stuff and leave me alone?
I didn't see it listed in my Credit Karma list.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Check all 3 reports.

Credit Karma gets its information from Transunion, which is one of the THREE credit bureaus.  Some companies use Equifax and some use Experian, so it will help if you get those reports and see what is up.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get all 3 reports.  Go over them very thoroughly to see what is yours and, if you see errors (a common occurance) file a dispute with the credit bureau reporting same.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the item within 30 days.

Has this recover company been contacting you by phone or by mail?  If only by phone, they are violating the law, which requires a collector send notification of collection within 5 days of first contact.  The statute of limitations on collections is another thing that can work in your favor, so you might want to check this out for your state.

Hope this helps.