Question

berecca77

I have a deliquent report, can I request them to delete it if I pay off the full balance?
I have a few student loans, a couple of them I wasn't able to make payments at first (they are all current now), and I have it as an account that has been delinquent on payments. If I pay the remaining balance off in full, can I request they remove the delinquent?

Most Helpful Response

Part of your credit history.

Paying off the delinquency is an excellent idea but it will not and can not remove the reported delinquency from your credit record because it actually happened and is part of your credit history.  The federal regulation known as the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that all credit transactions be reported. Negative remarks will disappear in 7 years (10 years after bankruptcy).

You can reduce the "sting" of the negative remark by showing a continued history of regular payments on your report from now on, which it appears you are doing.  It does take a while to pay off the student loans so the regular payments will gradually outnumber the late.