Question

abbyamodio

I have a collection account showing as open and unpaid when its been payed off. How can I dispute?
I have a collection account showing as opened and unpaid. It was paid completely off a year ago but then was sold to a collection agency and now its showing open and unpaid. Will disputing it help my credit score? I have necessary documentation to prove it was paid. And who do I contact about it? The collection agency or the original creditor?

Most definitely do something about it. You could start with any of the things that you've mentioned. Contact the original creditor if you paid them and tell them to pull the collection account back as there should no longer be one, do it in a nice way though as the law only requires that they notify the collection account to update to a $0 balance. If the original creditor does not work with you then dispute it with the credit bureaus if they don't at minimum update the account to a zero balance and close it.