Question

JETSTREAMChatmn

I have a bad credit score of 500. If all of my accounts are closed and paid off will my credit go up
If I pay off all my debt ($1800) in one month, and get a credit card to use responsibly, will my credit go up?

Paid? YES!! Closed? NO!!

Paying all accounts is good for your credit score.  Closing them is not, because each account has a credit limit, and the higher your total of available credit, the better.  Closing removes some available credit from your total. Also, the longer you have had credit, the better.  So, if you close accounts, they aren't getting any older and that hurts your score.

Your score may not go up immediately after paying off the accounts, especially if they have late payments showing, but it will go up sooner than if you didn't pay them.  A credit card may help, but with that low credit score, you may have to start with a secured card, then build from there.  Can be done because I did it.