Question

catm0331

I have a 757 credit score but would like higher.
I have a pretty good credit score at 757 but would like to get it over 800. I would like to possible purchase a home in the next two years, so am trying to get my score as high as possible. Right now I have three cards, two are paid off, but I use them for small purchases occasionally. (just used one for a $12 purchase and immediately paid it off). The other I have had for years and keep it at about a 25% balance, but have paid it off completely in the past at times.
I also have a small personal bank loan that is automatically paid from my paycheck's direct deposit and is almost paid off. (I have done this for years, and this really helped my credit, so when this one is almost paid off, I may borrow a little more money to keep this cycle going). I have actually recommended this strategy to others with little credit.
Someone told me to open another credit card, but I hate to do so, because I really hate all this credit business : ) But I suppose I could and do what I do with the other cards and just use it for small purchases that I can pay off quickly??? Would that help at all? I just find it strange that more open credit means a higher score, when I look at it as being a little irresponsible. I don't see the point or necessity of having a lot of cards, so this is why all this credit business never sat right with me.
I purchased my car out right so I do not have an auto loan or any large loans I could use to raise my score a little.

Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

to reach 800.

you will need a perfect 20 year credit history.  Or so I've been told.  After 750  Age of your accounts, Utilization and payment history is the only thing that will help boost your score anyway.

Your score is good enough now, there is no reason (other than to drive yourself crazy) to try and get to 800.  Trust me, you won't get any better rates than you can get right now.  I had a 749 score and I constantly qualify for zero percent interest car loans and credit cards.  I have 5 credit cards and I never pay an annual fee.  All my interest rates are very low.  I don't see how it can get any better than that.

catm0331

Thanks! That is what a friend told me, that I should just keep doing what I'm doing. He said once you get that high, its almost impossible to go any higher or I'll go crazy trying : )