Question

Loveismyname

I have 3 collections on my account.
The bank, cable company, and phone company are not listed anymore but the collection agencies for each account is listed! The accounts are listed at last reported 2012, 2013 and 2014. My score is super low 480. Can I dispute with the credit companies to have it removed? If so how do I go about doing it? I moved out the country to live with grandparents and could not afford a lot of payments and let my bills pile due to being unemployed. Now I have terrible credit and need to build it up in the next 6 months! Please help I also have 2 credit cards on my account one has a last reported payment oct 2009 but last reported apr 2010 and the other one reported in March 2015! I just got a job and would like to start paying off the 2015 card but not sure what to do about the ones in collections!

Most Helpful Response

The collection accounts will typically remain for 7 years from the time that the original bill went past due. So if it has not been seven years, disputing may not work and if it doesn't work, the collection account will update and cause further damage to your credit. There is a chance that a dispute could be successful, but be aware that there are risks involved. Do some reading on "pay for delete agreements" and in addition to that, read about all credit topics as often as you can.