Question

inthehole32217

i have 26 account in collections, what do i do?
11 of those accounts were co pays in doctors offices in my sons name. how can I fix this situation and raise my score. I am at 580, and want to get to 650 or better.

First, go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all 3 credit reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes on every wrong entry (not my account, wrong information, etc) with the credit bureau reporting it.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed item.

This should clear up a lot of the problems.  It is highly  recommended you check your credit reports once each year to make sure all information on them is correct.

Any collections that ARE yours, you'll want to get paid as quickly as possible.  The negative remarks will be on your report for 7 years from the date of last payment and that cannot be changed.  However, if you make regular payments on all accounts from now on, that is positive information for your credit score.