Question

hellonewyou2016

I have 2 accounts by different collection agencies for the same debt.
Okay so I am trying to clean up my credit report I've had some medical bills pop up okay actually a lot. Due to a error on the insurance's part. Regardless I have found that I have 2 collection agencies with the same debt. one is an open account the other is a removed account. the removed account has a date of 12/2015 removal date. The open account has a date of opened on July/2015
I am new to all of this so if someone could please explain and I have multiple account that reflect this. I was under the impression that the opened date had to be after the removal date. but I could be wrong as I stated I don't know much about this. Thanks in advance for the responses.

It sounds like the first one

sold the debt to the second.  Thus the first one is closed since they no longer have the legal right to collect.  It sounds as if the account was sold in july but they didn't get around to reporting it until the end of the year. Just goes to show how sloppy these companies can be.

This can be to your advantage. Rarely does the paperwork that is legally required make the transition to the second collection agency.  Try a "Validation Letter"  Google it for a template and more info on how they work. Try to use your own wording and try not to make it look to much like a form letter.  specificly ask for a copy of the original contract with your signature. If they can't produce it they will have to remove the account.

This should also work for some of your other collections as well. You only need to write to one of the collection agencies. it costs about 6 bucks to mail it return receipt requested. but its worth it to save much more.

Educating yourself on how credit works is to your advantage. Read all you can in the artifcles and blog posts here on CK so you have a good working knoledge of how credit works.  Your credit score is the most important number in your financial life. It stays with you untill the day you die, effecting everything from the interest rate on credit cards and mortgages to the rate you pay for insurance.

EddyTX

Forgot to mention that you should write a seperate letter for each account in collections. but you only need send it to one of the credit bureaus.

hellonewyou2016

okay,

I'll look into that. Because i have multiple that were "removed" but "reopened" months before it actually fell off. okay so even if one agency has more than one account i should send a Validation letter for all accounts correct? Thanks again for your help.