Question

sweetjoy

i have 16,000 in debth due to illness, should i file bankruputy

Go see a Bankruptcy Attorney

Sweetjoy,

Only you can answer that question.  I would strongly suggest you see a bankruptcy lawyer.   Make sure you understand the difference between Chapter 7, 11 and 13. 

Know that your credit will suffer.  The bankruptcy will appear on your credit report for 10 years.  If  you are looking to make a major purchase, the interest rates will be outrageous.

However, filing for bankruptcy IS NOT the end of the world.  Your credit will recover.  But better still, you will recover.  

The same thing happened to me in the early 2000. I filled bancruptcy because of disability no an illness. I couldn't pay my debt because of those reasons and felt guilty about filing bancrupcy. That was 17 yrs ago though. It's your choice.

NO you Do Not want to take that Path. 

Google Dave Ramsey 7 Baby Steps

Good Luck