Question

ncmurray1134

I have $1,122 in debt. Who do I contact to pay it off?
I owe $1,122 in debts according to Credit Karma. Two medical bills for $588 and $392 and an old light bill for $142. These have been turned over to several collection agencies. Would like to pay them off to improve credit, but who do I contact and how do I pay? For these 3 debts, Ive got 5 collection agencies? If I paid them all off today how long would it take to improve my credit score?

You should start by contacting the original creditor.  If they still own the debt and only assigned the debt, they can accept payment.   If they still own the debt, ask them to delete the debt if you pay in full today.   If they agree, you should ask for it in writing and make the payment as agreed.   Even if they won't delete and own the debt, and accept payment, this means the collections are not valid as a debt to those firms and you should dispute the validity about a month after they are paid.  If the original debtor does not own the debt, they cannot collect from you and you will need to contact the last known collection agency for each one and ask to negotiate to delete the debts.  Again, if they agree, ask for it in writing and pay them off as agreed.   If they won't delete, then negotiate a settlement for the amount owed and pay them off.  If they are not deleted, they will remain on your report for 7 years from the date reported as a collection.   When they are marked as paid, this will help you in the credit process, however collections do remain for 7 years.  Lesson learned, even if you can't pay a debt, make payment arrangements with the original creditor as soon as you get work of a bill.   Medical bills never get reported as long as payments are arranged.   Working with the original creditor at the very beginning can keep the item from going to collections in the first place.