Question

ADAML32

I had health insurance but all the medical bills on my credit report

I don't know of any health insurance (except Medicaid) that covers 100% of medical costs. There are still copays that are your responsibility. For instance, my son, who is insured through my employer, went to the ER a few months ago. The copay that day at the hospital was $125. A week or so later I received a bill for $634. This is the amount the insurance didn't pay for all the tests--x-rays, lab work, etc. Then a couple weeks after that I got a bill for $180 from the ER doctor who consulted on the case. So all together, even with excellent insurance, I paid nearly $1000 out of pocket for one ER visit. If I didn't pay, I would expect these accounts to go to collections and end up on my credit report.