Question

Drassie

I had a Wells Fargo credit card in 2002 and they've been harassing me to make payments. Should I?
I thought they would write it off since it's 2017 but they didn't. I don't have a job at the moment but I receive some income from social security which isn't enough. Is it sensible to give them monthly payments?

If the debt is from 2002 (and you/they closed the card back then), you can invoke the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act right there on the phone and tell them to bugger off (be sure you get their mailing address first, so you can send them a certified letter saying the FDCPA says they have to leave you alone.)

Odds are near-perfect that the debt is well older than the Statute of Limitations in almost all states (check to be sure), so they cannot conceivably come after you for it.

Also note that a debt that old can be very easily disputed and knocked off your credit report.