Question

preggypants

I had a medical bill I didn't know about until they sent it to collections six years later
I never received any letter stating I even had a debt to pay until tonight. I called the collection agency and the visit took place in March 2009, was opened December 10th 2014 and reported to collections January 10, 2015. As I previously stated I never received anything notifying me of the debt in any way at any time. What can I do?

Good Question

Contact the hospital that sold your account to the collection agency. According to the (FDCPA),  Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a creditors is suppose to notifiy you before they send your account to the credit bureaus. It's usually 180 after they can't collect on the debt. If you don't deal with this that collection will be on your credit report for 7 years.

brandjj70

Negotiate! Negotiate! Negotiate!

Preggypants,

Before you pay off any of your collectons or bad debt...negotiate! Try to get the creditors to agree to delete your collections for payment. The person you call at the collection companies do not have a lot of power so it would probably be best to ask for a supervisor. Remember to be polite and keep in mind these people are in business to make money. The way it works is they buy uncollected debts from companies for pennies on the dollar. If you pay them and they do not change your status, you will just have 7 years of paid in full bad accounts on your credit reports. You want a complete deletion or pays as agrees status next to your accounts. Try to get the payment reduced first but if they will only agree to delete for full payment. Pay them BUT MAKE SURE YOU GET A PAYMENT FOR DELETION LETTER FIRST! GET IT IN WRITING FIRST! Having credit cards isn't a bad thing! Credit cards don't hurt your credit scores. Usage of the credit card does! In order to get a good credit score you have to have a good credit mix. Revolving credit (credit cards), installment credit (personal loans, car loans, mortgages, student loans). An example of a good credit mix would be:  2 credit cards, 1 mortagage and 1 car loan. Bottom line...negotiate your bad debt before you agree to pay anything. I hope this helps. Also google how credit works to get a better understanding of credit. Also go to link below to better understand how credit works. 

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx