Question

Sue0624

I had a account go into collections that I dont agree I owe. How long will it affect my credit?
I do not want to pay it but if it affects my credit for to long I will

Most Helpful Response

First decide the best way to approach it

You need to decide if it's worth fighting.  If its less than what you can comfortably afford to pay, say, half of a paycheck,  then it may be worth the time to fight it.  if its a smaller amount sometimes its just easier to pay it to make it go away.  if it is mail an "offer to delete", find out more about how to do it in the articles here on CK.  Get them to remove it from your credit report when you pay them  Get it in writting before paying so you can force them to remove it later, Because you probably will.  Thats the way collections are, they don't play fair, so don't let them get away with it.  

if the amount is higher and you feel you have just cause to not owe the money, then mail a "Validation Letter" to the Credit Bureaus,  Google it for Info and a template.

Make copies of any supporting documents to send along and within 30 days you will have an idea of what your up against.  Often times things will just go away because the Collection Agency doesn't have the time to fight you over it.  If they Validate the account, you will tehn have a good idea of what your going to need to do to make it go away.  You have options here too,  Offer and comprimise, Pay to delete and other things you can do to be sure that it has the least negitive effect on you Credit

Read the articles here on CK, there is a lot info there that got me through a lot of this myself.

Sue0624

Enter Your Reply

Thanks for the info. Its helpful.  One more question.  Can I negotiate the amount with the pay to delete option?

7 years

Collections stay on your credit report for 7 years. It's most damaging the first 2 years.