Question

nosideedison

I got approved for First Premier Card, Should i get it?
My credit history is fairly new.
I have a credit score of 642.
I only have Paypal Buyer's Credit with 300CL, that is my only revolving credit account. 3 months of average age of open credit lines.
I have a Wells cargo personal loan - Total Debt: $2,685
i have a good credit score because of my wells fargo, paying always on time.
I have tried applying for Credit Card and they all rejected me, their reason is i have a short credit history being 3 months.
My question is, i got approved with First Premier Card with $25 set-up fee, $75 annual fee and 59.99% APR.
Should i get First Premier Card and when is the best time? or should i just stick to my Paypal Buyers Credit for the mean time?

Most Helpful Response

I just clenched my heart and called out to Elizabeth like Fred Sanford when I saw 59.99% APR!!!  Nooooooo!!!  Stick to what you have, do not rush building credit.  Do not get that First Premier card.  Do not pass GO!  Building credit is a slow process.  After about a year with what you have, you will get offers in the mail as well as qualify for more credit.  Check out FinanceGlobe.com and sort the credit cards by your score with Experian, Equifax, Transunion, and Vantage to see which cards you would easily qualify for.  Trust me, there are many better offers than First Premier.  Geeeez, the fees alone will put you in debt.  Also, give Barclay Priceline Visa a try.  Pretty easy to qualify online.  Even if you are declined, you can immediately pick up the phone and call their Credit Analysts at 866-408-4064 who will ask you a couple of questions for verification and 90% of the time will APPROVE your unsecured NO ANNUAL FEE credit card with 0% interest for 1 year and about 13% interest afterwards. 

stay away from any card with an annual fee or setup charge they are makeing money off of you from the start. and with a very stuipd apr why would you do it in the first place? look at bankrate .com and see what type of cards would be a better fit for you. stop look and think always when it comes to credit card and apr.. mine apr run from 9.24 to 11.99 because i shopped around for the best intrest rate and i pay off my bills each month.

I have this card. I purchase 2 tanks of gas on it and pay it off. Each fill up for me is 48$. When my husband got orders (military) to move to Hawaii we did not receive enough money to move out there and ended up living in a hotel with our 2 children for 23 days. The Navy did not give us a reimburse of our money that we laid out like they were supposed to. To add to this, when we finally got a house through the military, it was infested with bugs and again, we paid to have it cleaned and what not. This maxed out all of our credit and we fell behind on our payments. We eventually paid all but one credit card off and the accounts are now closed. Our credit was ruined. I have this card and the one month I have put 2 gas purchases on it and paid it off, my score went up 35 points. Don't knock it. Yes the interest is horridly high, but if you pay it off, you don't pay the interest. There are fees, but when your credit is poor it is to be expected. I plan on keeping this card until my credit is back to the 700's like it was prior to the military putting my family in this situation. Just be smart about how the card is used and there shouldn't be a problem. If you max it out then you will have problems because the amount of interest tacked on will kill you and you'll fall behind. I learned the hard and very painful way. This card has help me rebuild my credit when I was denied for a secured card.

I have a first premiere card and i guess i'm lucky cause i haven't had any problems but that is also because i pay my purhcase off within 25 days of charging so i don't get fees but it is helping build my credit, the only bad thing is don't pay online pay over the phone 2 days from the time u called cause if u pay over the phone on the same or next day its a $10 fee so paying later will keep u from being charged, i have had my card since march of 2010 and never have problems.

I would suggest that you not apply for this type of card. Capital One, Orchard, etc. all sock you with high fees. If you are late with a payment they will sock you with even more fees.

I would suggest that you visit a local credit union. Speak with them concerning a secured card.  Years ago, when I needed a secured card, all I had to do was place money in a secured card account.  There was no setup fee, starting fee, annual fee and the interest rate was 10.9%.  After some time, it was easy to just change the account to a regular unsecured account.  The money deposited at the credit union is insured.  With the account being local, you can just stop in to pay your monthly bill.

personally their not that bad just pay ontime they help boost your credit score i had then for 5 months n went fron 542 to 606 n then got approved for a capital one card its up to you 

Do not get a first premier card... They have high fees, high APR and low credit lines no matter what your credit score... oh and they were ranked #1 worst credit card this year. Stay away! Did I also mention they have an activation fee on top of what you listed!

thanks for your response. I live in Guam so Capital One, Public Savings and Orchard/HSBC don't extend their credit services in Guam.

I only have First Premier as my only option to get a credit card.

but maybe i'll just wait for a year to have my credit history at least 1 year old.

Thanks!

no. if you really dont need it dont get it. keep your good credit. and their interest is ridiculous.

no fee's are high

I have one $700 limit  $175 fee 1st year than after 12 month its $49 annual fee plus $14.25 maintance fee per month so I just paid mine off and plan to close it.. the interest is 35% and the fee's are crazy... I have discover it. capital 1 credit 1 Walmart Jc penny chase slate chase freedom paypal credit and none of these charge me these crazy fee's I wish I had never got it