Question

Celestial428

I got approved for a credit card but they are asking me to send copies of certain things
I was told to send copies of my drivers license, social security card, and a utility bill showing my current address. Never been asked this in my life and my computer was hacked recently. Obviously I am apprehensive. Any advice considering I am sick and sort of need the money?

Most Helpful Response

Credit card companies are required by law to validate the identity of the person they are extending credit.   The firm you are applying with is in compliance asking for this information.  To provide to the firm you are asking to extend you credit is something you initiated so providing it should not be a concern.  The concern should be if you never contacted them and they contacted you out of the blue.   Your concern should be your final statement "need the money"  That is when you should apply for credit although, will you be in a position to make the timely payments and keep low utilization to build your credit.  If you know you may not be in a position to pay or will be paying more in interest by carrying a balance, is this really something you want to do.

Celestial428

First thank you because when you get hacked it's a concern and since it was recent I guess it has me spooked.  Second thank you for the advice as a whole with giving me more to think about...I greatly appreciate the help, you have no idea!  Thank you!