Question

tarabee

I got a bad credit card, how can I get out of it without hurting my credit?
So, I'm eighteen and just starting out. I got an offer for a First Financial Bank student credit card, and got accepted. I've been using it with no problems (getting small things like gas and paying it off in full right away, etc.)
After reading reviews online, which I know I should have checked first, this bank is a nightmare. There are so many horror stories, and no good ones.
I really only want this card to build up my credit score so I can be set later in life, but I now know this isn't the card I will want when I get out of college. If I use it and pay it off right away, and eventually get a better card (like Discover,) can I let this card expire in a year without it killing my credit score? Or what should I do?

As long as they report to the credit agencies then you're establishing a history.  Never use more than 30% of a card limit. I couldn't find any issues on line, so I don't know what the problem is.  I'm pretty sure the lender will send a new card with a new expiration date before the old one expires. You might try getting a store credit card at a store you frequent and pay the balance each month to add to your credit history.  What is your credit score or do you have one? I don' t know your debt to income ratio. If you don't have enough credit history, you can usually apply and obtain a secured credit card.