Question

saesmith2006

I filed for bankruptcy in 1996, eightteen years later why can't I get a credit card
I try repeatedly to get myself out of debt. I own only one debit card in which I save for only emergencies, still I am not able to get ahead in life, cause I would like to one day be able to own my own home without the pressures of wondering if I will be able to come up with money for rent each month.

Most Helpful Response

Owning a home does not reduce the financial pressures, but it can increase them.  You would have the additional expense of homeowner's insurance, property taxes and the expense of repairing whatever breaks (and you'd best count on this happening, because it will). I've been on both sides of the rental/ownership fence so can speak from experience.  Please take the time to learn from this site by reading the articles and using the financial tools so you can build a good credit score.  Such education is the purpose of Credt Karma.

Bankruptcy is often advertised as being a  "fresh start" but they apparently  neglect to tell you that the fresh start is basically starting to build your credit score from the beginning again.  You may need to get a secured credit card and build from there.  It is going to take time and effort, but that will be worth it.  The information on this site can help you do just that..