Question

2011XTERROR

I don't want to close my oldest cards, but iI don't want to close my new ones either..
So, this is a two-part advice question.
FIRST: I have a few cards and I want some closed just due to the fact they don't offer much in rewards, the limit is low and they're virtually unneeded.
here are the cards with their open dates and balance limits:
summer of 2009 - Capitol Credit Union - $500
November 2011 - Chase - $1,500
September 2011 - Kay Jewelers - $3,300
August 2012 - Wells Fargo - $3,000
September 2013 - A+ Federal Credit Union LOC - $2,000 (only included because its revolving)
End of year 2013 - Capital One - $300 (I want to close this one, it's useless)
June 2014 - Navy Federal Credit Union - $1,000 (I want this one closed as well)
March 2015 - American Express - $2,000

I listed which cards I want closed... would it be a pretty safe bet do you think? all of the cards are 100% paid off with the exception of the AmEx one because I used that one and pay it off weekly. The AmEx is going to be the only one I really use.

okay, now for part two...
after having my AmEx card open for 61 days, they always give you the opportunity (and they USUALLY approve this) for a 3x CLI without doing a hard inquiry. Its just a soft pull. Incase it isn't clear what I mean, since I initially got approved for $2k, after 61 days they will allow me to get it raised to $6k (which is 3x more) without doing a hard inquiry.
my question is: should I wait to cancel these cards until after I try to increase? I read somewhere that you shouldn't close cards before applying for a loan but I want another opinion on what my best options are.

thank you SO much in advance...

Don't cancel cards!!!

Part of your credit score is based on how much credit you have been granted. The more, the better.  Even if the card is no longer wanted, you can keep a high credit score by keeping the account open (providing you don't have to pay a fee) and just keep the cards in a lock box.  Even if you never use it again, the amount of credit granted is a PLUS for your credit score. Close the accounts and you deduct that credit limit from the total available and it causes your score to drop.