Question

CreditGrasshoppa

I disputed an item, now the creditor updated to show 25 lates and extended removal date. Legal??????
So I disputed an item with the original creditor Chase bank. It was an old credit card about 6.5 years ago. I was able to get the collection agency to remove the acct that it was sold to so I figured I'd try my luck with the original creditor. My late payments said 0 for 6.5 years and had excellent payment history. Now after the dispute, they updated it to show 25 late payments 1/1/23. Not only that but since they updated the late payments, my estimated removal date has been pushed back 8 months when it should've came off in two weeks if I left it alone. Is this legal? They neglected it for 6.5years and then 2 weeks before the estimated remove date, they add 25 late payments and push back the removal date. Is this legal? What are my rights? I feel they neglected it for that whole time and now before it gets removed, they "update" it. I feel like this was done maliciously. What can I do???

I only disputed it with Equifax

I disputed it with equifax online by saying the account does not belong to me. I did not speak with chase directly or a collection agency for the matter. In fact if anything I disputed the ownership of the account and never admitted to it being mine. Any idea what happened?

You should have never contacted them

They sold the account, So they should have no legal right to collect the account, But since you contacted them, they have the legal right to update the info for 7.5  years "From the Date of Last Contact". you said that The account was 6.5 years so realisticly it should have fallen off in the next few months.  Although they could no longer collect they can update.  You had fallen off their radar but by contacting them they updated the info. 

You can try to contest this with the Credit Bureau,    Specially since the account was removed by the collection agency.   I'd try a "validation letter" Google it for more info and a template for the letter.  It may not do any good but it is worth a try. 

CreditGrasshoppa

I never contacted Chase. I merely disputed the validity of the account through an equifax dispute by saying "this account is not mine/I have no knowledge of the account". Could a dispute through equifax start the 7 year time clock over again?

Did you accept responsibility for the de

Communications with creditors is difficult. If you said the right thing, and I assure you anyone you were talking to our communicating with is trained to listed for certain key phrases, they could reset the timer on the 7 years.