Question

Ronh630

I discharged a chi in December. My credit scores are still 680-708.
Is it possible to still have decent credit after a bankruptcy? Before the ch7 I had never been late or missed a payment to anyone but I assumed my score would drop more than this

Similar Boat

I am 2 weeks until my bankruptcy gets discharged and already up to a 680, was down at 630-640 before I filed.  I also kept everything current up until I filed and have watched my score tick upwards a few points every couple weeks since then.  The thing I think that's helping me now is that I had to keep my student loan (like most people), which is 11 years old, so I still have a solid credit age.  Also, 2 of my no-balance cards from pre-bankruptcy didn't close on me or at least haven't yet.  

I didn't think this was possible to get a good score so quickly either (thought it would take 1-2 years at least) and keep doubting what I'm seeing.  TBD on how having a good score WITH a bankruptcy recently filed on your report will affect one's ability to actually get credit, or how credit issuers that you had to include in your bankruptcy will treat you post-bankruptcy, but it's sure nice to see a healthy score so quickly, especially when everything they tell you says how much your score will go down.

Also, not looking for credit to rack it up again, just looking to build up my credit (hoping for a house in a couple years).

A Chapter 7 hurts your credit for ten years, and that is something you would have learned if you had taken the time to read the information on trhis site.