Question

Posted in Taxes

mtfreek1975

I didn't know I had a tax lien
I see a tax lien on my account. I don't know anything about it. I have never received a bill or notice. I need to know what my next steps should be.

Most Helpful Response

Determine what kind of tax it is. Federal, state, or local. Liens are usually filed in your local courthouses. (County, not city.) You could go there if your county does not have its records online. At worst you will have to obtain one of your free credit reports from annualcreditreport.com to get the contact information.

jwsister

GET THOSE CREDIT REPORTS, FIRST!!!

Most likely, the tax lein is an erroneous entry and all the information you need about it will be on one fo the credit reports, as will any other errors.  After all, humans input the data and humans make errors.  File disputes on the errors with the company reporting them.  That credit bureau will have to investigate and either verify or delete the item.  Make it a practice to annually check your credit reports.