Question

2017ataglance

I didnt have any credit cards and i applied to 5 and I got them. Although I was denied one. help.
I noticed that my scores went down. I am not going to get another card. What can i do to raise my scores?

Most Helpful Response

Not really sure what you were asking exactly, but whenever you apply for credit, approved or not? there will be consequences. You potentially have score drop from inquiry(s), new account(s), lower avarage age of credit and possibly new/more debt. Score drop from those tend to recover around 3~6 months. Personally, I perfer applying credit in the same time frame, same day if I can help it, then I will stop applying for long while to let my score rebound, (in the mean time, your score don't matter much when you are not applying for credit) rather than applying 1 every three months, your score would constantly in state of flux.

Congrats on your new lines of credit.  Now, it is your turn to show good faith to those companies and ensure you are timely on your payments.  If you show good faith to yourself, you will pay them off when the statement is due so that you aren't paying another 20% in interest that you don't have to.    You should note the line of credit of each card and ensure you never charge more than 10% of the amount they granted you, and never more than you can pay off by the statement due date.  When you do that, in the next 6 months, your score will be higher than it was when you got the cards.   Be warned, a single late payment, even by 1 day can reduce in a fast plumet of your score which will take years to recover.