Question

clearingup51

i didn't authorize any one to make these inquiries.

ONLY ONE

I ONLY authorized a hard inquiry by ONE lender. I have worked in credit and mortgage underwriting for 25+ years. The individual I was working with is someone I have bought a car from before and I am very happy with the dealership. However, he shopped my loan to 8 other banks and all of my credit scores dropped 18 points in one day, across the board. It IS a big deal. And, its against the law when the individual you have a verbal agreement with takes a very short credit application, with no parameters about credit inquires or the number of them, and uses this to shop your loan to try to get you the deal you want. But, you would have never authorized them to do more than one inquiry with one lender. The lender was picked out in advance by both of us. He knew exactly what he was doing. He just hoped I wouldnt find out. Thanks to Credit Karma I did find out, the second I got home. I'm on the phone with my attorney on Monday morning. It is against the law to in any way misrepresent how you intend to use someones personal information. 

By doing an application foir a car loan, you are authorizing the inquiries and the company will try to get you the best interest rate possible.  If a large number of inquiries shoiw up, it means your credit is not fantastic and the search was more intense.  But inquiries are not that big a deal and have no effect on your score after a year.