Question

JAV11

I defaulted on a card many years ago. My last payment was in 2006.
In 2014 a third party threatened court if I didn't pay 500. and their balance was much higher than originally. They never once tried calling me. Was this a stale debt? Ive also been paying them, so how do I get this removed

Since you are currently paying them then the Statute of Limitations to be sued for the debt has likely been reset, so you better keep paying until it is paid off. The credit reporting time period of 7 years on this account cannot be reset by anything, so this account should not be on your credit reports, do some reading on all of this stuff and do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) as well. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. As to your question as to if this was stale debt, it depends on the Statute of Limitations to be sued for debt in your state, most likely it was, but you killed that when you started paying them. I am not sure what you have done in regard to your payments to the collection company, but you may want to dispute the account as "too old to report". You also may want to call an FDCPA attorney.