Question

cvonbee

I currently have 4% utilization on my credit cards, should that be spread among them?
I really only want to use my debit card due to a (slight) lack of restraint when I carry my credit cards around, so I plan on lowering that number even further by just having some monthly subscriptions charged to 1 card. I know that high utilization of a single card can be detrimental to your score, but can low utilization of all but one card be negative too?

If you want to show utilization.

But don't want to carry your cards ( which is a very good idea BTW)  put a recurring charge on a particular card. something that your going to pay any way,  put your phone bill on one card, your electric bill on another, cable bill on another,  you get the idea.  Then put the cards away. Pay the bill when it comes in.   Your showing utilization with money that you already have budgeted.  

Keep one card in your wallet for emergencies, keep it in a pocket that's out of sight so your not tempted to grab it 

Never carry balances on Store cards,  never charge to a card when you don't know how and when it will be paid. 

EddyTX

forgot to mention. 

4% is not bad. Zero is worse. Creditors like to think they can make money off you. 

5-10% is ideal. weather that's on 1 card or spread out over several makes little difference.  I currently have 64% utilization on one card, a 0% for 16 months Visa that I used for a vacation and christmas.  I also have 3 cards with 0 balances and 3 with balances below $100.   But my overall utilization is 21%.  

When you plan large purchases you should know how long it will take to pay it off and that your score will be a bit lower because of it for a while.