Question

AEves7

I continue to get denied for credit cards. I need to raise my score with terrible credit.
I have a very poor credit score due to financial difficulties in the past. Now I am financially stable and want to raise my credit score as high as possible as soon as possible but I continue to get denied for credit cards. What am I supposed to do?

Most Helpful Response

First, check your credit reports.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all 3 credit reports.  Look them over carefully and file disputes on all erroneous entries (not yours, incorrect information, etc) with the credit bureau reporting them.  They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed items.  Make this an annual routine.

People make the data entries for the credit reports and no one is perfect, so errors are bound to happen.

Now, as for credit cards, have you tried a secured card?  You have to deposit money in the issuing bank's account and that is usually the credit limit.  After a period of careful usage, you quaalify for a "regular" card with an increased credit limit.

Careful usage is:

Charge no more than 20% of the credit limit in a month. For a $300 card, that would be $60

Pay the balance in full WHEN THE STATEMENT comes in.  This will show usage, which is good for the credit score.

Try to NEVER carry a balance on the card so you don't end up paying interest.

It takes a little while to rebuild credit, but it can be done.  Been there, done that, and still working towards further betterment.

Hope this helps.