Question

valmandoz

I conclude that I need more credit cards at less than 10% utilization?
I am using my 2 credit cards at 50% and that is poor, so you recommend having more credit cards at 0 to 9% utilization which is Excellent??? Who is benefiting from that? BANK!!!! not me!!!! This is a scam.

Most Helpful Response

You should only use cards as needed, and pay them in full every month. Depending on your credit score and the card agreement, the interest on most credit cards ranges from about 10% to almost 25%. A cash advance on a credit card will cost you almost 40%!  Paying interest is wasted money. Mortgage interest is deductible on federal taxes.  Live within your means.

I use my credit cards for almost all my monthly expenses for the rewards, and pay them off when I get paid. If I need a big ticket item, like a washing machine, fridge, etc -that's when I apply for a credit card with an 18 to 24 month no interest clause; and get it paid off within that time frame.

Well, it's completely your choice to not apply for more credit cards to spread out your spending to better your scores.

You don't need more credit cards at lower utilization; you need to lower the utilization on the ones you have. If you are using more than 30% on any one card, it's a red flag to creditors that you may be living above your means and using your credit cards to stay afloat. Keep utilization below 10% for ALL your cards for best score results. 
I suggest you get the credit cards you already have under control before applying for more.