Question

OkGirlMom

I closed old inactive lines of credit which destroyed my Age of Credit History. What can I do?
I thought that having too many inactive lines of credit open would hurt my score, so I went through my credit report and closed all my old accounts that weren't being used, going back as far as 10 years. Is there anything I can do to restore this credit history? Open back up old accounts? I'm sick about this.

Its might not be as bad as you think...it's WORSE!

-

Nah, just kidding, it isn't too bad. In FICO scoring models which still is the most widely used scoring models out there today, it include both your open and closed accounts for age/avarage age of credit, your closed accounts in good standing can remain on your report for 10 years, so your age of credit won't change till them are gone from your report.

-

Your score might change due to less available credit, less accounts and higher utilizations. Just don't close any more old accounts, use them once a while to keep them active and reporting.

Not much that you can do, just learn from it and use it as a prompt to do some extensive reading on all credit subjects. Hang in there.