Question

Lovethyself2

I closed an credit card account shall I re open it because I cannot open any other credit card
I had a dillards credit card and I paid my balance in full and closed the account and now I cannot be approved for anything else such as other credit cards or loans, is it possible that if I re open the account that I would be able to get other credit cards, etc.

Most Helpful Response

Get yourself a secured credit card or visit your local credit union and ask for a credit builder loan.  Visit www.creditcards.org for list of cards available.  Your score will take a small hit when you apply, but once you get a card/loan and start making payments your score will improve over next few months.  You can always call Dillards and see if they are willing to reopen the card without a credit check, just based on your payment history with them.  Worst they can do is say no.  Best of luck!

Unfortunately you cannot just reopen a credit card account that has been closed. You would have to actually reapply for credit and try to be approved. There is no reason to take another hard inquiry for a store credit card. If you are being denied elsewhere right now, Dillard's will likely deny you now as well. It is better to try to get a regular visa or mastercard that you can use anywhere. You also have to make sure you are applying for the right card. Some cards require high credit scores, while there are some for people with lower scores who are trying to build their credit. The more you apply to right now the lower your score will keep going. I'm not sure how many you have applied to recently, but you may want to stop for a while and try again later. Do note, it is rarely advantageous to close a card, the only real reason to do it is if they are charging you an annual fee and you have built your credit up enough that you can get cards without those fees, and if when that happens get the other card first then close the card with a fee. Without specific details of your history it is hard to give specific advice, so I hope this helped.