Question

mermaidbebop

I cleared a debt but it still looks unpaid/bad on my credit report?
I paid off a credit card that I missed many payments, and it went to collections (from what I remember. I was young and careless) It has been three years and it is still on my credit profile. How do I get it off?

As a side note, I was just starting out and getting a bank account. The rep at the bank talked me into a credit card, but told me he lied on the applicaton and said I was a student ( I have never been) to qualify me (either for the card or a higher credit line, not sure which).
It was unfair to me when I was so young and had no idea how credit works.

Most Helpful Response

Credit report is really credit history

You might have some luck if you had obtained PFDs (Payment for Deletions).... but if you are persistant, sometimes you can write a GW (Goodwill) letter (usually to the EO (executive office) if you paid in full and are careful they might remove it, recode it, or remove it earlier than 7 years.. but its not a guarentee.. as someone previously said.. your credit report is a credit HISTORY... both the good and the bad... and it will ding you for 7 years... Might want to read about how to do GW letters and requesting it be removed on the forums here or other known credit boards.... (myfico and creditforums)...

Unfortunately 7 years.

You credit history is just that. Your history. Derogatory remarks stay on your credit report for 7 years from last payment you made to them. As time goes by it will have less effect. Creditors generally look at your last 2 years or so when granting credit. 

Good luck. 

Why the student application

The reason he suggested you fudge it is you probably had NO credit history, and many lenders are usually more generous in lending to students .. They want to give students a chance to create their own credit for use after they leave college... But a lot of that has changed since the advent of the CARD act.. There is a premise that responsible students who are given credit at an early age handle credit better than those who havent and there is actually a report by the Federal Reserve that proves it to some extent... hence why the olive branch exists.. There also was some govt. backing for students who defaulted on these starter cards but do not think this is the case anymore...

give these guys a call.... Credit Pros 1-877-235-0324.