Question

seagoddess54

I can't find who owns old judgement
I have two old judgments on my credit report. Well...I had two. I was able to pay off one but I'm being given the round around trying to find how to pay off the other one.
I got the lawyers name from the court, call there and was told it was with a collection agency. I called there and they said they only held one of the judgements and gave me the name of another agency.
I called that agency and was told it was a different department...so I called there and got some foreign dude who told me he had to email someone to get the information and that that could take up to two weeks.
At least he was able to tell me what the original debt was. Should I sit and wait for them to call? Or should I call the credit card company?
I'm trying to get a mortgage and need to clear this up...right now everything is at a halt till I can pay this off.
It's like I can't find anyone who will take my money, which under any other circumstances would be ok with me....but...
Tearing my hair out!

Most Helpful Response

Try a Validation letter

Google it for a template and more info on how they work. Generally they are used to try and get an old creditor removed from your report, In this case you can use it to force them to move faster.  It will require them to prove that you owe the debt and that they have the right to collect it. That means that they will have to provide info to you within 30 days or remove the account from your credit report. 

all communitcations with Collection Agencies should be done by mail, Return Reciepts Requested. Phone calls, even when they say they are recorded, are never documented as well as they should be. 

Good Luck