Question

skigirl916

I cancelled my gym membership 5 years ago, it's now being reported?
I joined a gym in August 2006 and signed up to be automatically billed. The contract was month-to-month. I recall my circumstances in 2008, and know that I cancelled that year. The cancellation was completed on-site on a triplicate form, and I received the pink copy. I waited a couple months to ensure that I wasn’t still being billed by the gym. Once I verified that, I tossed the pink form. (Why would I keep it once cancelled and no longer being charged?) Two years later, I actually re-joined a different gym from the same chain closer to my home.

Almost 5 years later, here I am seeing this allegations of this debt, and this “debt” being reported on my credit report for the very first time. The partial contract I was provided shows a start date of August 2006 on a month-to-month basis. The “itemized bill” they sent me shows dues owing for May, June, and July of 2009, each of which weren’t paid the auspices of “EFT Return Charge”, and include return charges.

I do not owe this debt, period. I no longer have proof that I cancelled the membership, but it is clear that I fulfilled the terms of the contract itself.

What can I do??