Question

Rgoodwin90

I bought a new car today & gave the dealership permission to run my credit.
I told them that I wanted to go through my credit union for financing so I understand running it through the dealership and my credit union but they ran it through three other credit unions and one of this three they ran it twice. My credit score on here was 31 points higher on here than what they told me it was, also my credit union was the last one they ran it through. Is this illegal and can I get them dropped off my credit report?

Donʻt Think Itʻs Illegal

I just bought a new car yesterday and found that the credit score they ran was actually significantly higher than what shows on Credit Karma. Credit Karma said I had a 664 and the credit score they ran showed a 703. I tend to think that CK doesnʻt offer EXACT credit scores, just ballparks. 

I donʻt think itʻs illegal for them to have run your credit application through several lenders. Itʻs my understanding that theyʻll often send your profile to multiple lenders in order to find ones that will finance you. When I checked my account this morning, I noticed that I had two hard inquiries added to my account as of yesterday, so Iʻm assuming they just sent mine to two lenders. Iʻve heard of some dealerships sending profiles to multiple (i.e., 6-7) lenders before. 

Lastly, I donʻt think that you can have them taken off your credit report, unless you dispute them. In this case, it might be a good idea to check with your dealership to pinpoint the number of lenders they sent your information to, so that you can figure out whether some may have been unauthorized. Hope this is a little helpful.

There was nothing illlegal done. You agreed to it. The multiple inquiries will be scored as one with most scoring systems (you will still see all of them listed on your reports though). As far as the different credit scores, there are different scoring models for credit. There are many different types and versions of credit scores. Always look to see what "type" of credit score you are getting. You get Vantage Scores here. Most auto lenders use an auto version of FICO scores. In addition to that, remember that there are three different credit bureaus to pull a score from and there is always some variances there too.