Question

thisischris427

I authorized a soft inquiry and it came up as a hard inquiry. What can I do?
I was at a cell phone store and had a soft inquiry done to see how much I would have to pay as a down payment on a new phone. I was specifically told it was soft, and even called their customer service, their consumer credit representative and they pulled up my file and told me it was indeed a soft inquiry. Though I got an e-mail today saying that it was a hard one. So obviously something is wrong here but I don't know what it is. What can I do?

I would have never believed that it would have been a soft inquiry. I pull credit on customers and don't recall the ability to select if my inquiry will be a soft or hard inquiry.

All you can do now is dispute that you authorized the inquiry. It might work.

thisischris427

So dispute the inquiry with TransUnion? And I see that my credit score has not gone down but actually has been elevated from Good to Excellent. Should I even worry about it? I don't plan on any more hard inquiries for a while. I can go back to the cell phone store and see what they say now. Thanks.