Question

stevenneedshelp

I am very confused at all the different answers for settling collections vs. paying them in full.
I have 6 collections on my report also saying that there are 6 derogatory marks on my credit report. How can I get the marks and collections deleted from my account? Should I settle and beg the creditor to delete it or should I pay in full? I am really hard pressed fro money (who isn't) so settling would be helpful but I want to get the negative marks off. Also will removing the negative items increase your credit?I have 6 collections totaling $5,000. I was told by at least 4 of them that they would settle but won't offer a pay to delete option. I want to get a secured card but i want to push the score more by removing old collections. The oldest collection won't come off until 2019. A friend of mines settled and his items were deleted also shooting his score up 45 points.

Most Helpful Response

Settlle and have them put zero balance

I am trying to get a morgage and I have 3 small collection accounts. I was advise by bank to pay them off or settle and have zero balance in report. yest they are negative marks, but a mortgage lender wants to know you are current and responsible now. Also having a low CC balance increase your score. I tried the delete option and it is hard to do. I heard that medical bills collection are easier to delet than other collection.  

The best move to make is a pay for delete agreement. Sometimes it isn't easing to negotiate. Try talking to the manager, be stern but not disrespectful, make them feel like the only deal that you would agree upon is the pay for delete agreement. Ask for the settlement option first. That way you may have to negotiate paying in full in order to get them to delete the item altogether. The best move is to have the item deleted. But if you are unsuccessful; then a settlement will have to do. Good luck my friend.