Question

carknockermike

I am trying to find out how credit checks work by mortgage lenders lower your credit score

credit scores checked.

called a lender to see how a loan would lower my morgage payment.  was not asking to take out a loan . next thingi knew, they had checked my credit scores and sent me an application to fill out.

When ever a firm checks your credit for purposes of giving your credit, you acquire a hard inquiry which would lower your score.   When you secure the loan, your score will drop again based upon the amount owed as well as your average age of accounts.