Question

2bad4me

I am on disability from Social Security
How can I rebuild my credit due to an illness? Your first Capital One card referral was declined to me, I am thinking because I did not have a work phone number to add to the online application, and I checked the other box when asked about income source.
Thank you

Most Helpful Response

Don't apply for a new credit card

unless you feel that you will be approved.  Know what they are looking at before you apply.  The credit card companies are paying for this site. Just because CK recomends a card, Don't believe you will always get it. 

Applying for new credit when you CR isn't in good shape will only hurt you.  Since I started rebuilding my credit I have NOT taken any offers from CK.  My credit has been rebuilt using the bank and Credit Union that I have accounts with, I started by getting secured credit cards linked to my savings accounts. Now I get pre-approved card offers in the mail all the time.

When you do apply for new credit be sure that your utilization is down below 20% and you haven't missed any payments in at least a year. 

Also, You don't need to have a lot of income to have good credit, it's all about how you manage it.