Question

jdavis812

I am new to credit and wondering how quickly my score will raise.
I just turned 18 in March. Even though I am young, I have been taught the importance of credit and I think credit cards are super cool, if you use them properly. I really wanted a rewards card but had a hard time getting one, so I got my dad to cosign a regular credit card with my local bank. The account has currently been open about 2 months and my CK score is 652. I really want a good rewards card. My personal favorite is the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I know this is a big card and would be very tough for me to get. I am not going to be applying until my score is around 720. So, if I keep my utilization down below 30% and always pay on time, How quickly will my score raise to say 700 or 720??

Most Helpful Response

Will take some time

It will take some time for your credit to improve. Also, depending on your income; it can be difficult to get some of the better rewards cards. Your score will probably jump up over 700 if you do that for a couple of years and always keep the utilization down and pay it off each month.

One other option to consider which I've seen work is: If one of your parents has excellent credit and they've had a card with all on-time payments made for 8+ years, have them add you as an authorized user on that credit card account. Technically, banks don't give you credit for accounts where you are an authorized user; however sometimes your FICO score can be tricked and it will improve your credit. It may not work; but it probably can't hurt.

jdavis812

Ok thank you. Actually on Sunday, my score updated and jumped to 702. My income is about 20k a year but I have no housing payment of any sort. I know my dads CK score is like 776 and my current card is actually a joint account with him, not just an authorized user, so I don't know if that makes any difference or not...but that's what I got. I'm just gonna give it time and then try my luck with the CSP...plus I hear the reconsideration line is pretty good to you most of the time...