Question

Posted in Site Suggestions

fromgoodtobadfast

I am looking into a second mortgage to consulidate my debt.
I would like professional advice and recommendations on getting a second mortgage to consolidate my debt. I have endured many financial hardships in the past few months and I want to get back on track with my debt and credit score.

If this second mortgage is to refinance your hoime, fine.  If it is to consoldate unsecured financial instruments such as credit cards and revolving charge accounts it is NOT a good idea.  Why risk your home to repay credit cards and other such debts that you just might run up again?  Credit cards are non-secured debts in that there is usually nothing of significant value that you'd buy with one that could be sold by a creditor to get at least part of the money back.  Not so with a house.  Default on any mortgage and you risk losing it in foreclosure.

Rebuilding your credit may take a bit of time, but it took time to get into debt too, didn't it?  So consider sensible ways of getting debts under control and don't look for a "fast way" out.  The fast ways have a lot more pitfalls.  Slow and steady wins the race.

You are going to have some negative marks on your credit for 7 years, and there is likely no way of changing that except by developing a history of reliable payments. Time and patience work. 

For credit card debts, look into getting a balance transfer card, but keep the old cards (possibly in a lock box) so you have that credit available. Try the credit simnulator program to see if it would work for you.  That's how I consolidated. And read the articles on this site so you can learn more about credit.  That is what Credit Karma is all about.