Question

IrishLuv

I am completely broke, and have no bank account. How can I build up my credit?
I have tried budget tools, and they all require a bank account. I need to fix my credit to get out of this situation, but the situation I am in keeps me from fixing my credit, due to low funds. would getting a credit card and using it wisely help me? If so, what is the best one to get?

I would live on cash for a while before even attempting to fix your credit or getting a credit card. I don't know your exact situation, but "low funds" sounds like you don't need any debt right now.

There are credit unions out there that will open an account for you, despite any bad history. Look for "second-chance checking" accounts. Most of them will open savings accounts for you with no problem.

Good luck.

IrishLuv

Thanks for responding. I have been living on cash for my entire life. I need to get out of this rut. Would it not be better to get a card, and build up my credit, as long as I am responsible and do not spend outside my means? I always pay my bills on time. My credit being damaged was through trusting my family with my name, and not through my own irresponsibility. I am just having difficulty in what card I should get, since I do not have ready funds for a large deposit. 

Perhaps a credit union would grant me a small loan? Do they report to all 3 credit bureaus?