Question

wyndemere405

I am a widow, husband deceased last year and for the 1st time in my life have credit problems!
All the businesss cards that were in his name are not my responsibility says my attorney. However my credit has been ruined since the Credit Card Companies insist that I pay something on his now defunct cards. Since I am not responsible for his business expenses, how do I get my credit rating back up to where it should be and always had been. One of the rating services shows that a card from Macy's had the credit limit reduced. It was my husband's card and because it was not used, they reduced the limit. I subsequently called the Company and cancelled the card, as I have my own... Any suggestions... I have a lawyer involved but can't seem to clear my credit.

Most Helpful Response

Sorry for your loss.  You may need to look over his financial documents again to ensure your name and social security number was not tied to any of his accounts.  They want their money any way they think they can get it.  Definitely pull the whole report and dispute anything that is not truly in your name and is your debt responsibility.  

So sorry for your loss, and especially for this hassle, which you do not need.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three of your credit reports.  Look them over very thoroughly and file disputes on all WRONG information with the credit bureaus reporting same.  They then have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed items.

Since you apparently had no involvement in your late husband's business, you are not responsible for his financial obligations.  You may have to write to the companies that are still trying to collect from YOU and enclose a copy of his death certificate along with a letter specifying your non-involvement.  If that doesn't shut them up, report them to the FTC, which can be done online.