Question

betgen

I am a co-signer on a credit card for my husband. He passed away last summer.
It is listed on my credit report. If I close out this account, how will it effect my credit score?

Sorry for the loss of your husband.  Were you the Co-applicant or authorized user?  A Co-signer means that you guaranteed payment in case he could not. If you were a co-signer, they would have closed the account on their own when they learned of his passing and sent you a bill for the outstanding balance for immediate payment.     If you close the account, your amount of available credit will drop.  As will your score.   Depending on the age of that account, closing it may affect your average age of accounts.  This could decrease your score.   If you owe no debt on the card and you close it, your utilization may increase as you won't have that credit line.  This will also decrease your score.   Contact the credit card company, advise them of the death and ask them to remove your husbands name and leave the account as is.   They may ask for a copy of the death certificate.